Saturday, January 17, 2009

we want food!

Way back in August which feels like an eternity now I had my tracheotomy after choking on a bagel, causing me to develop severe pneumonia. the reason I choked was the muscles in my throat responsible for my swallowing are very weak from my disease. Back then it was determined that eating solid food was no longer an option for me. choking was too high a risk and that was a gamble I was not willing to take so I stuck to the puréed diet for the next several months. the food I was able to eat was fairly limited but I made do, I was able to eat things such as ice cream, cream or tomato soup, re fried beans, finely chopped overcooked spaghetti, and my favorite overcooked macaroni and cheese. Overcooking those last two dishes was to make them soft and easy to purée. It wasn't fun not being able to eat a juicy burger or a T-bone steak but at least I could enjoy some food.That was until December 20th when I was hospitalized for my second bout of pneumonia. The doctors determined that the cause for my pneumonia was aspiration caused by eating and drinking so they decided I should not eat anything at all which was a huge disappointment for me. I was denied one of the greatest pleasures in my life and I was devastated. Now I live food free and it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, almost every night I dream about food and in the day I'm tormented by a food imagery in the media. It seems like every time I turn on the TV I am haunted by images of mouthwatering entrées. This is by far the hardest thing I've had to give up besides giving up walking. I never realized how much food was a part of my life until I was denied, now I see what a big part of my life it really was and how much it meant to me. In case you're wondering how I survived without food I get all of my nutrition in liquid form for a feeding tube that goes directly into my stomach. I guess five cans of liquid nutrition a day and that's what keeps me alive. I have been thinking of taking the risk and eating puréed food again but then again I might end up in the hospital once again with pneumonia which is something I'll do anything to avoid.

3 comments:

  1. I'm here for you buddy. (((hugs))) i can't imagine what its like having to give up food. I dont wanna imagine it. I love food too much. Anyways it will all be okay. I will be here for ya until the very end of time.:):) Keep hanging in there & keep staying strong.

    Salie

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only there was a way to close off the trachea from the back of the mouth so you can't aspirate. I'd thing some kind of throat plug would do as long as it is easily removed. But don't try that, it would need to be a specially designed medical device that probably doesn't exist. I know of people who can't swallow at all but are able to taste the food and then spit it out. I know that would seem odd to do but it seems to me that the enjoyment of food is through the smell and taste. I like certain foods for their flavor but swallowing it is a different issue.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. your right Charles there needs to be something like that designed, that person could be you! You could be rich lol. I have tried spitting the food out but something very bad happened with that, some of the food leftover in my mouth got down my throat and into my trachea without me even realizing it. A few days later my mom suctioned hamburger meat out of my lunges. VERY BAD

    ReplyDelete